While clothes are a necessity, they can also be a luxury. The most expensive clothing brands in the world stand out from mass-produced lines thanks to handmade designs, costly fabrics and celebrity connections.
The Most Expensive Clothing Brands
The fashion industry is going through difficult times at the moment. There are many international store closures and an increasing move to online sales in recent years.
Despite these trends, there is still a market for haute couture. However, these luxury goods must distinguish themselves from the competition with technical innovations, unique design and customer loyalty schemes.
25. Brunello Cucinelli
Founded in 1978 by Brunello Cucinelli, this Italian fashion brand is known for its luxurious fabrics and classic design. But what many people don’t know is that Cucinelli is also a leader in sustainable fashion.
He was one of the first designers to use sustainable materials like organic cotton and linen. He also advocates for fair working conditions and wages for the people who make his clothing. In an industry that is often criticized for its environmental and social impact, Brunello Cucinelli is setting a new standard for sustainable luxury fashion.
Most Expensive Brunello Cucinelli Items
- Women’s Knit Cape in cashmere: $20,900
- Men’s Cashmere Parka: $13,995
- Women’s Opera Cardigan: $12,500
Valentino is a fashion house founded by Valentino Garavani in 1960. It is one of the world’s most famous and respected luxury brands. Valentino went on to dress some of the most iconic women of his era, including Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, and Grace Kelly.
Valentino retired in 2008, but his legacy lives on through the Valentino brand. It is known for its use of beautiful fabrics, intricate detailing, and timeless silhouettes.
Valentino’s collections are designed for the modern woman who loves style and sophistication. Valentino designs are classic and elegant, with a focus on quality and workmanship.
Most Expensive Valentino Items
- Embroidered Drap Cape for women: $23,000
- Men’s Reversible Coat in cotton, wool and silk: $6,350
- Rockstud Spike Shoulder Bag: $2,850
23. Loro Piana
This Italian luxury goods company specializes in wool, cashmere, and other high-end fabrics. The company was founded in 1924 by Pietro Loro Piana.
Loro Piana is known for its use of the finest materials, and its products are coveted by celebrities and fashionistas around the world. The company has boutiques in major cities such as Milan, Paris, London, New York, and Hong Kong. It is considered to be one of the top “old money” `clothing brands that gives the wearer a look of effortless smart casual chic.
In addition to its signature clothing range, Loro Piana also produces a range of home furnishings and pet accessories. Whether you’re looking for the perfect gift or a treat for yourself, Loro Piana is sure to have something that will suit your needs.
Most Expensive Loro Piana Items
- Women’s Arvel Coat in vicuna: $34,800
- Men’s Kenton Coat in vicuan: $27,150
- Wintercosy Cocooing Slippers: $1,075
Named after the brand’s founder, Céline Vipiana, this French luxury goods brand was founded in 1945. Celine is best known for its high-end handbags, but it also produces other fashion items such as clothing, shoes, and jewelry.
Celine is headquartered in Paris and has stores in major cities around the world. The brand has a reputation for quality and luxury, and its products come with a high price tag. Over the years, the brand has built a loyal following among fashion-savvy consumers who appreciate its timeless designs.
Most Expensive Celine Items
- Celine Triomphe shoulder bag: $22,300
- Celine ladies Triomphe vest in cashmere: $19,100
- Double dog bowl with Triomphe print: $1950
This world-renowned Italian menswear label was founded in 1910 by Ermenegildo Zegna. The brand is best known for its high-quality suits, but it also produces a range of other clothing and accessories.
Zegna has a global presence, with stores in major cities all over the world and is listed on the New York Stock Exchange. The brand is particularly popular with business professionals and city dwellers who appreciate its sophisticated aesthetic.
In recent years, Zegna has expanded its range to include sportswear and casual wear, making it a versatile option for any man’s wardrobe.
Most Expensive Zegna Items
- Bespoke Zegna men’s suit: from $22,000
- 12milmil12 night blue overcoat: $14,900
- Camel suede shirt: $6,495
20. Thom Browne
Thom Browne is an American fashion designer based in New York City. He is best known for his suits and sport coats, which are often made with unusual materials and construction techniques.
Browne’s designs have been worn by a number of celebrities, including actor Daniel Craig, actress Kristen Stewart and musician Kanye West. His work has been featured in a number of museums, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Victoria and Albert Museum.
Browne’s clothing is some of the most expensive on the market, with a suit often costing several thousand dollars. However, fans believe that the quality and craftsmanship of his clothing is worth the price tag.
Most Expensive Thom Browne Items
- Black crystal satin black tie Hector bag: $16,900
- Engineered Donegal wool oversized pea coat: $10,790
- Fun-Mix stripe tie jacquard mountaineering backpack: $7,390
Hubert de Givenchy was a French fashion designer who founded the House of Givenchy in 1952. He was best known for his elegant haute couture designs and for dressing a number of high-profile clients, including Jackie Kennedy and Grace Kelly.
Givenchy created the iconic “little black dress” worn by Audrey Hepburn in the film Breakfast at Tiffany’s. In recent years, the house has been led by creative directors Riccardo Tisci, Clare Waight Keller and Matthew M. Williams. Givenchy remains one of the most respected fashion houses in the world, and its products are coveted by fashionistas around the globe.
Most Expensive Givenchy Items
- Givenchy Little Black Dress worn by Audrey Hepburn: $923,187
- Dress in braided leather with flounces: $21,320
- Medium 4G handbag with chain: $19,000
Founded in 1919 by Spanish designer Cristobal Balenciaga, the House of Balenciaga is one of the oldest and most respected fashion houses in the world. In recent years, the brand has become known for its trend-setting sneakers, which have been spotted on everyone from Kendall Jenner to Bella Hadid.
Whether you’re looking for a new pair of everyday sneakers or a statement-making style for a special occasion, Balenciaga has a pair to suit your needs. With their cutting-edge design and impeccable craftsmanship, Balenciaga sneakers are truly in a class of their own.
Most Expensive Balenciaga Items
- Women’s Maxi Hooded Wrap Coat made from mycelium fibers: $11,350
- Men’s Fake Fur Coat: $8,100
- Le Cagole Shoulder Bag with rhinestones: $7,400
Founded by Adele and Edoardo Fendi in 1925 in Rome, Fendi is one of the most iconic fashion brands in the world. It is well-known for its high-quality craftsmanship and use of luxurious materials. Fendi clothing items can be quite expensive, but they are also investment pieces that are built to last.
A black lace dress adorned with hand-embroidered Swarovski crystals will set you back $18,500, while the popular Fendi Baguette bag costs over $2,000. Here are some of the most expensive Fendi clothing items currently on the market.
Most Expensive Fendi Items
- Fendi First Medium leather bag in shades of white: $34,000
- Fendi Men’s black shearling coat: $32,000
- Fendi Windbreaker ski jacket: $3,290
Hermès is a French fashion house that is well-known for its luxurious clothing, handbags, and accessories. These stylish items are made with high-quality materials and craftsmanship.
Hermès was founded in 1837 by Thierry Hermès in Paris, France. The company is known for its high-quality, handcrafted products. While Hermès clothes are certainly not affordable for most people, there is no denying that they are exquisite works of art.
Hermès offers a number of bespoke services, like made-to-measure clothing and custom-made luggage. As a result, Hermès is a popular choice for celebrities and other well-heeled shoppers who are looking for top-of-the-line fashion.
Most Expensive Hermès Items
- Hermès miniature rose gold Sac Bijou Birkin bag bracelet with 2,712 diamonds: $2 million
- Hermès platinum and diamond Birkin by Ginza Tanaka bag: $1.9 million
- Hermès Chaine d’Ancre Bag with 11,303 diamonds and white gold – $1.4 Million
15. Tom Ford
Having successfully reinvented Italian fashion house Gucci for the modern age, Tom Ford set up his own fashion and beauty label. Known for its stylish fashion accessories, beauty palettes and made-to-measure suits, the brand is an American success story.
Most Expensive Tom Ford Items
- Tom Ford diamond loafers customized by Jason Arasheben and worn by Nick Cannon: $2 million
- Tom Ford tuxedo: from $5,540
- Soleil Brulant Eau de Parfum 250 ml: $895
14. Salvatore Ferragamo
The Italian shoemaker Salvatore Ferragamo set up shop in Hollywood in 1923 and gained a large following. His handmade shoes were worn by Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, Greta Garbo and Judy Garland.
These days, the luxury Italian brand also makes clothing, accessories and fragrances for men and women. New CEO Marco Gobbetti had reenergized Burberry and will no doubt have a big impact.
Most Expensive Salvatore Ferragamo Items
- Scarlet satin stiletto heel shoes adorned with rhinestones and owned by Marilyn Monroe, auctioned by Christie’s in 1999: $48,300
- Salvatore Ferragamo customizable Tramezza men’s shoes: up to $13,500
13. Oscar de la Renta
Popular with Hollywood stars like Anne Hathaway, Oscar de la Renta was a fashion designer from the Dominican Republic. Born in 1932, he dressed Jacqueline Kennedy for many of her key events.
Stars loved Oscar’s vibrant use of pattern and elegant silhouettes.
Most Expensive Oscar de la Renta Items
- Oscar de la Renta off-the-shoulder wedding dress worn by Amal Clooney, adorned with hand-embroidered pearls and French lace: $380,000
12. Marc Jacobs
The American fashion designer of the same name launched his label in 1984. With headquarters in New York, the casual luxury brand has global reach and a successful e-commerce site.
The most nominated director for awards in the history of the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA), Marc Jacobs is known for its popular Daisy fragrance and relaxed styling.
Most Expensive Marc Jacobs Items
- Carolyn Crocodile Handbag: $38,000
- Puffy Clouds Embroidery Dress – hand-embroidered in Switzerland: $28,000
This British brand is famous for its stylish trench coats and tartan check pattern. Founded by Thomas Burberry in1856, the label holds a Royal Warrant by Prince Charles as an Outfitter and a Royal Warrant by Queen Elizabeth as a Weatherproofer.
Although the company is of British origin, they have a presence in many countries around the world and are particularly popular in Asia.
Most Expensive Burberry Items
- Three-quarter length double-breasted trench coat owned by Audrey Hepburn, sold by Christie’s London in 2017: $94,906
- A limited edition Burberry women’s trench coat made from peacock feathers, worn by Anna Wintour of American Vogue: $30,310
10. Dolce & Gabbana
The brainchild of Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana, this Italian brand was established in 1985. Since then, they’ve branched out from women’s clothing to jewelry, perfumes, handbags, footwear, watches and sunglasses.
In some articles online you may read about the world’s most expensive sunglasses which are reportedly by Dolce & Gabbana and cost $383,609. That is a typing error and the actual cost of the discontinued DG2027B model was $383, so don’t believe everything that you read online!
Most Expensive Dolce & Gabbana Items
- A blood red dress studded with beads in a limited edition of 12, which was the most expensive item on Net-a-Porter at the time of sale: $32,000
- Men’s double-breasted shearling coat: $13,000
Now owned by Kering, Gucci was reinvented for modern times by Creative Director Alessandro Michele. As well as Gucci handbags and shoes, the brand now offer clothing and suitcases.
Most Expensive Gucci Items
- Gucci Stuart Hughes Belt: $250,000
- Rock crystal and 18K gold ear pendants auctioned by Christie’s in 2011: $74,500
- Gucci gold sequin dress worn by Beyonce: $12,900
- Gucci Men’s I-Digital Grammy Special Edition Watch, worn by Kanye West: $7,900
8. Ralph Lauren
Established in 1967 by American designer Ralph Lauren, the fashion label has several luxury lines. Ralph Lauren Purple Label is the brand’s most expensive men’s range, while the Collection line is the most exclusive of their women’s ranges.
Most Expensive Ralph Lauren Items
- Purple Label Crocodile Duffel Bag: $25,000
- Purple Label Gregory Handmade Tailcoat Tuxedo: $9,995
7. Giorgio Armani
Founded by Giorgio Armani in 1975, the Italian fashion house has since expanded to include Emporio Armani, Armani Collezioni, Armani Jeans, Armani Exchange and Armani Prive.
Although many of the Armani lines are aimed at the middle market, labels such as Armani Prive sit firmly within the luxury segment.
Most Expensive Giorgio Armani Items
- Armani Prive gown decorated with Swarovski crystals that was worn by Cate Blanchett at the 2007 Oscars – $250,000
- Diamond necklace by Armani Prive, auctioned by Christie’s in 2013: $15,000
6. Yves Saint Laurent
This famous French fashion house is known for its beauty products as well as its chic tuxedo suits and androgynous style. The iconic brand was created by Yves Saint Laurent and his partner Pierre Bergé in 1961.
Yves Saint Laurent also popularized the safari look as well as camouflage and the trapeze dress.
Most Expensive Yves Saint Laurent Items
- Yves Saint Laurent Sunflower jacket – a limited edition of 4, hand embroidered as a tribute to Van Gogh: $382,000.
- Yves Saint Laurent Opium perfume: $175 per ounce
The Italian fashion house was established by Mario Prada in Milan in 1913. Now run by his youngest granddaughter, Miuccia Prada, the brand is known for its quirky aesthetic.
Referenced in the movie, The Devil Wears Prada, this forward-thinking company is particularly known for its leather handbags.
Most Expensive Prada Items
- The Brandy Top Handle V2 ostrich leather handbag – $10,200
- Prada Papaya Hobo Bag: $8,600
The French brand created by Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel in 1909 is famous for its boucle wool suits, elegant perfumes and quilted leather handbags. Her designs have a timeless quality that is still in fashion today.
The Chanel little black dress is a staple in many affluent women’s wardrobes. In more recent years, the late Karl Lagerfeld was known for his elegant Chanel designs. Perhaps Chanel’s most expensive item is the Diamond Forever classic bag, which costs well over £200,000.
Most Expensive Chanel Items
- Limited edition Chanel Diamond bag decorated with 334 diamonds and with an18 karat gold carrying chain: $261,000 estimated value.
- Two rare Coco Chanel and Fulco di Verdura gem-set and gold brooches sold at Christie’s New York in 2004: $192,300
- Chanel fishing kit: $18,000
One of the most expensive brands in the world, Versace was set up in 1978. The brainchild of Gianni Versace, this Italian designer brand created clothing from innovative fabrics such as metal mesh.
Gianni Versace has been worn by Elizabeth Taylor, Jennifer Lopez and Princess Diana. After the tragic murder of the founder, Gianni’s sister Donatella Versace became the Creative Director of the brand.
Most Expensive Versace Items
- Versace beaded “The Face” evening jacket owned by Elizabeth Taylor, embroidered with rhinestone portraits of the star in her most iconic roles, sold at Christie’s in 2011: $128,500
- Greca One-Shoulder Mini Dress: $4,495
2. Christian Dior
One of the most famous French luxury brands, Christian Dior has been going strong since 1946. Often worn by Jacqueline Kennedy, the fashion house is popular with celebrities such as Charlize Theron and Natalie Portman.
As well as women’s clothing and accessories, there’s Dior Homme for men and Baby Dior for children. The brand’s cosmetics line, Dior Beauty is also very successful.
Most Expensive Christian Dior Items
- Christian Dior Haute Couture chartreuse gown worn by Nicole Kidman to the 1997 Oscars, designed by John Galliano: $2 million
- 1968 Silver encrusted brocade evening gown with matching bag owned by Elizabeth Taylor, sold at Christie’s in 2011: $362,500
- White peplum dress worn by Charlize Theron at the 2013 Oscars ceremony: $100,000
1. Louis Vuitton
Initially known for their luxury luggage trunks and other leather goods, this famous French brand was established by Louis Vuitton in 1854. The company is now owned by Bernard Arnault, the richest person in the world.
Having branched out to clothing, accessories and jewelry, Louis Vuitton is popular with celebrities such as Angelina Jolie and Sarah Jessica Parker. Creative Director Nicolas Ghesquière has managed to revitalize the historic brand without compromising on elegance.
Most Expensive Louis Vuitton Items
- Steiff Louis Vuitton Teddy Bear: $2.1 million
- Louis Vuitton Urban Satchel – decorated with recycled water bottles and chewing gum packets: $150,000.
- The Kusama Pumpkin Minaudiere Jewel Bag – a collaboration between the Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama and Louis Vuitton: $133,430
- Louis Vuitton Pur Oud 100 ml – a limited edition perfume of 2000 bottles containing natural oud essence: $1470
Final Thoughts: The Most Expensive Clothing Brands in the World
If you have the money to spare and are looking for a fashion investment piece, any of these expensive fashion brands would be ideal. Clothing is one area where you can really get what you pay for in terms of quality and craftsmanship.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that trends come and go, so what’s expensive today may not hold its value in 10 years. If you want to stay on top of the latest fashion trends, be sure to check out our other style articles.
Pin this guide to the most expensive clothing brands for later or share with friends.
You might also enjoy: