The Dalai Lama famously said, “Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before”. We say, why limit yourself to once a year!
These world bucket list tips will help you to make the most of your vacation time and hopefully give you inspiration for future travel.
WORLD BUCKET LIST IDEAS
The following are some ideas for your bucket list, ranging from famous man-made landmarks to beautiful waterfalls, picturesque Alpine villages, white sand beaches and incredible tree top paths. If you’re making a family trip, we’ve also got lots of suggestions for you.
- Amalfi Coast, Italy
- Andaman Coast, Thailand
- Angkor Wat, Cambodia
- Antelope Canyon, Arizona, USA
- Big Sur, California, USA
- Chateau de Chenonceau, Loire Valley, France – one of the largest castles in the world
- Chichen Itza, Mexico
- Christmas Markets in Europe
- Christ the Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Cinque Terre, Italy
- Easter Island – one of the most unique historical sites in the world
- Golden Bridge, Da Nang, Vietnam
- Grand Canyon, Nevada, USA
- Great Barrier Reef, Australia
- Great Wall of China
- Ha Long Bay, Gulf of Tonkin, Vietnam
- Luxury Cruise Vacation
- Luxury Train Journey
- Machu Picchu, Peru
- Mount Fuji, Japan
- Niagara Falls, Canada
- Palawan Underground River, Puerto Princesa, Philippines
- Petra, Jordan
- Saint Mark’s Square, Venice, Italy
- Salar de Uyuni salt flats, Bolivia
- Santorini, Greece
- Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
- Skiing in luxurious resorts worldwide
- Stingray City, Cayman Islands
- Stonehenge, UK
- Swimming with Pigs at Exuma Cays, Bahamas
- Sydney Opera House, Australia
- Temples of Bagan, Myanmar
- The Acropolis, Athens, Greece
- The Colosseum, Rome, Italy
- The Dead Sea salt lake
- The Eiffel Tower, Paris, France
- The Great Blue Hole, Belize
- The Northern Lights, Iceland
- The Pyramids of Giza, Egypt
- The Taj Mahal, Agra, India
- Tower Bridge and Tower of London, UK.
- Waddesdon Manor, Buckinghamshire, UK
WORLD BUCKET LIST EVENTS
Bear in mind that due to ongoing travel restrictions and social distancing, some of these world famous events are temporarily cancelled or rescheduled. Always check on the organizer’s website before booking.
Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta – the largest hot air balloon festival in the world takes place in New Mexico at the beginning of October. Albuquerque is a popular hot air ballooning destination throughout the year.
Burning Man – crowds flock to the Black Rock Desert in Nevada from end of August to beginning of September for this alternative festival.
Cannes Film Festival – if you can score a ticket, this is a great event in the South of France for film buffs.
Carnival in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The biggest festival in the world with 2 million participants!
Cherry Blossom Festival – a spectacular sight in Kyoto, Japan each Spring.
Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival – a hip festival held in the Colorado Desert.
Day of the Dead – Día de los Muertos commemorates those who have passed away in Mexico.
Diwali, Festival of Lights – a five day celebration of the victory of light over darkness in India.
Groundhog Day – an unforgettable (ha ha) annual event in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, USA.
Holi Festival of Colors – this vibrant Spring festival is observed in India and Nepal.
Kentucky Derby – this popular horse race in Louisville takes place at the beginning of May.
La Tomatina – a fun annual tomato fight in Valencia, Spain.
London Marathon – it’s hard to get a place to run in this annual road race, but easy to find a spot to watch it!
Mardi Gras Festival – held over two weeks in Springtime in New Orleans, USA.
New Year’s Eve – watch the famous time ball drop in Times Square, New York, USA.
Oktoberfest – a 16 day celebration of beer held in October in Munich, Germany.
Running of the Bulls – an infamous event where you try to outrun bulls in Pamplona, Spain.
Sapporo Snow Festival – this 7 day event in Japan features incredible ice sculptures.
St Patrick’s Day – celebrate the patron of Ireland and enjoy live music in Dublin on March 17. Dublin is one of the best Gothic cities in the world.
Tour de France – if you like bikes, don’t miss this annual French cycling tournament.
Trooping the Colour – a royal ceremony usually held at Horse Guard’s Parade in London, UK in June.
Venice Carnival – famous for its intricate masks, this Italian festival takes place from mid February to beginning of March.
Wimbledon – the iconic tennis tournament takes place in South West London at the end of June and beginning of July.
Yi Peng Lantern Festival – this event in Chiang Mai is celebrated on the full moon of the twelfth lunar month each year in Thailand.
ROMANTIC BUCKET LIST IDEAS
Whether you’re looking to get married abroad, go on honeymoon or simply searching for romantic places to visit with your partner, we have lots of recommendations for you. Here’s a selection of romantic places around the world.
UNIQUE PLACES TO STAY
Whether you’re a fan of luxurious hotels, quirky accommodation or glamping sites, you’ll find plenty of suggestions on this luxury lifestyle site. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- A glamping village in a Shropshire winery in the UK.
- A Swiss Alpine resort with incredible views of Lake Lucerne.
- Bubble hotels for panoramic views of your surroundings.
- Overwater bungalows in the Caribbean and the Maldives.
- A treetop hotel in Portland, Jamaica.
- Hot tub hotels for a taste of luxury.
FOOD AND DRINK AROUND THE WORLD
From casual eateries to food markets, Michelin star restaurants run by famous chefs or swanky cocktail bars, there are lots of great places to eat in the world. We’ve also included information about the best foods and drinks, including tea, coffee shops and wine. Fans of candies will enjoy our list of the top chocolatiers in the world too.
Check our articles on the best foodie cities and the most luxurious restaurants worldwide if you’re celebrating a special occasion. There’s even an underwater restaurant for something a bit different!
If you have any questions about where to visit around the world, let us know!
Looking for more travel hacks and tips? From hidden gems to unique experiences, we’ve got you covered.
Join us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.